Yummy Summer Hash
I’ve been trying so hard to eat clean and healthy and it’s a struggle sometimes! Who’s with me on that??? Well, I have been craving sweet potatoes, and onions, and brussel sprouts lately. So i looked up some yummy ideas on Pinterest and found one that looked amazing! I tweaked it just a bit, but will also try it the way they suggested next time too!!! Here’s the original recipe! It’s so good and fresh, the perfect summer dish!!! We even enjoyed it out on our deck! I used ground chicken instead of boneless skinless chicken, and I added some different spices, but this was so tasty! You could really go so many directions with this. It would also be very tasty for brekky with some eggs, or over a salad!! I’d love to hear how you make it!!! Comment below!!!! XOXO!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (i used garlic powder b/c I forgot to buy garlic cloves)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Increase skillet heat back to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, mushrooms and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with parmesan or your choice of cheese. Serve warm.